Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

problem in my left eye..all happens once everyday usually about midday

Customer Question

I have a problem in my left eye. Sometimes things I look at seem to be on top of each other but the most distressing symptom I have is that I dont know what Im looking at times and it seems as if I cant distinguish what is far or near to me. This all happens once everyday usually about midday. Can you help me?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

When you close one eye does this issue go away?

Dr. Rick :

What medicines are you taking and what medical problems do you have?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I am here and available to continue working on your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I see you pressed the accept button a little early....never fear...I won't leave you until you've got a good answer.

Did you see my request for more information above? Are you saying that the issue with two images occurs with just your left eye open and your right eye tightly closed? Or does this occur with both eyes open and then get better if you close one eye? This is a very important distinction....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It occurs with both eyes open and then gets better if I close one eye

When I close my left eye the problem goes away ,but my right eye becomes painful and blurry.
I am on anti depressants for depression due to this problem and clozapine for schizophrenia.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Well, the clozapine can cause dry eye problems that could contribute to this issue, however it is more likely that you are having a problem with the muscle balance between your two eyes (strabismus).

I would not jump to the conclusion that your symptoms are due to your schizophrenia too quickly. I think you should have an examination by an ophthalmologist or, if possible, a pediatric ophthalmologist. A Pediatric eye doctor is the best trained expert to deal with muscle imbalance issues, although many general ophthalmologists diagnose and treat this issue too.

Does that make sense to you?