Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi it is Saturday evening and my daughter has a corneal ulcer

Hi it is Saturday evening and my daughter has a corneal ulcer (first one). She has all the symptons including the white dot on her eye. Her eye doctor will not have office hours till 10:00 am on Monday morning. Should she go to the ER this evening? If she can safely wait till Monday a.m. what can she do for it now?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

She can not wait until Monday. This is an ocular emergency. She needs to be seen by an ophthalmologist tonight. If that is not possible, then an ER doc will have to do. Many ERs, however, have ophthalmologists on call to see patients.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Are you there?

Customer:

My husband says that he has had something similar to this (an abrasion caused by a contact) and was able to treat is successfully at home.

Dr. Rick :

He is wrong. There is a bug, called Pseudomonas, that can go from a white dot on the cornea to a pus pocket for an eye in 12 hours.

Dr. Rick :

and often occurs with contact lens use.

Dr. Rick :

Your daughter, with the white dot, has an ulcer.....much worse then an abrasion.

Customer:

Will we be able to see the white dot on her eye?

Dr. Rick :

I thought you said you could see the white spot....

Customer:

No, my husband is checking now. We took our daughter's word. She says it is on the green of her iris.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, there are other bacteria that cause corneal ulcers in contact lens wearers that are not as mean as pseudomonas.....but I sure wouldn't risk it with my daughters eye.

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

If it is a corneal abrasion, what is the treatment?

Dr. Rick :

In a contact lens wearer, even a simple abrasion, I worry about an ulcer forming and might choose to use a topical antibiotic 4x/day to be safe. Otherwise, stay out of the contacts and a simple abrasion should be better in 24 hours.

Customer:

Well, the safest thing is to take her to the ER and get it checked out. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.

How did things go last night? Was you daughter able to be examined by an ophthalmologist? What was the outcome and how is she doing, if you don't mind me asking....?