Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

10 month old, healthy, found to have mucus in right eye only.

10 month old, healthy, found to have mucus in right eye only. No redness or excessive tearing. Left eye; no symptoms.
Child afebrile.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does it seem like that eye has had mucus etc in it a lot for quite some time now, even since he was born perhaps?

Customer:

no, a recent development. Child not bothered too much by this.

Dr. Rick :

Has the child had any recent cold symptoms?

Customer:

noticed more sneezing but no runny nose.

Dr. Rick :

How much mucus would you say? Does there always seem to be a glob there, or just once in a while?

Customer:

seems to be there most of time. after clearing away it re appears with in 15 minutes or so.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. The most common cause of this condition in a child this age is a nasal lacrimal duct obstruction. At home you can try warm compresses and using your index finger to gently massage the area where his eyelids join his nose. If you have long fingernails, cut them so you don't poke out the kids eye :o)

Dr. Rick :

If this doesn't work in a week or so, or if you see a lot of redness/swelling in the area then I would take the child to see a pediatric ophthalmologist for a complete evaluation.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

No need for eye ointments or drops? Will apply compresses and watch for redness of eye or swelling of lids.

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. Antibiotic drops/ointments don't really work on this condition, but a lot of docs hand them out......I guess it is so the mom has something to do lol!

Customer:

Agree, thank you for your time and expertice.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope your daughter is better soon. Congrats on the new addition =)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.