Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

appear to be in my eye and I dont feel any irritation..flushes

I was working in the garage and used a hammer and screw driver to tap a part into place. A very, very tiny piece of metal broke loose and flew quickly towards my eye, hit and bounced off... it doesn't appear to be in my eye and I don't feel any irritation other than that feeling you get when something small gets in your eye and finally flushes itself out... I don't feel any reason to go and have it looked at, but what should I watch out for over the next day if it did puncture my cornea or gets infected?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Usually these small pieces of metal do don't hit your eye and bounce off...they hit and stick. If you are having a feeling like something is in your eye it is really best to see an ophthalmologist or an optometrist today to check for an embedded foreign body.

Dr. Rick :

Your tears are a strong salt water and, as such, any small piece of metal quickly rusts and leaves behind a rust ring. Plus, the rust is toxic to your cornea.

Dr. Rick :

If it punctured your cornea anything that happens over the next 24 hours will not be good....if this is one of your concerns you really, really, should have your eye looked at now. Of course, push come to shove, you will always have the other eye :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest