Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I suffer from glaucoma. Recently (last few days) have developed

I suffer from glaucoma. Recently (last few days) have developed a smaer or blur in one eye that moves in the opposite direction. Not a normal floater?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to cha?

Dr. Rick :

chat?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Are you seeing any flashes of light in the affected eye or is your vision affected?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

No flashes or pain. I know what normal floaters look like. This seems to look as though I have a dirty mark on the eye. When I move the eye in one direction, the mark appears to move in the opposite firection.

Dr. Rick :

That is the way that a normal floater acts, however, as you said, this is not like floaters you've had in the past. Does the smear have a hint of any kind of color or is your eye affected in any other way? Is it red? Painful? vision decreased?

Customer:

No other obvious issues. The reason I was concerned is that it is reacting differently to normal. With normal floaters, moving the eye is followed by the floaters in the same direction ( in the interior). This seems like its on the surface, almost like a water drop on my glasses. It is just very noticable in bright light.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, a blurry spot from a cataract would not cause this symptom, however it, conceivably, be something in your tear film....but.....that would tend to come and go and never be the same twice.

Dr. Rick :

It is much more plausible that what is causing this smear is inside your eye, more specifically, in your vitreous cavity. Could it be a bit of blood from a small retinal tear? Yup. It could also be a group of old floaters that have 'grouped' together to make this smear. I

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual for them to move in your visual field in the manner you are describing.

Customer:

Visual field also seems unaffected. Peripheral vision is OK, its just a pesky blur moving across the eye as it moves. I would normally go see a specialist but as I am abroad, my Spanish is not so good with medical things. Do you suggest leaving it a few days and then seeking further help. I dont get paid if I dont work?

Dr. Rick :

Unless you are an Olympic Weight Lifter giving a seminar in Spain, I think you will be ok to work. How long until you get back to where there are some English speaking eye docs?

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you go to the Spanish Rivera and, using the young ladies as a visual target, check the vision in each eye 3x a day.

Customer:

Could be a while, may be better to seek the help of a translator, the medical help here is very good, its just the language thats the problem. If you think a few days more is not dangerous, i'll follow it up next week. Thanks for your help

Dr. Rick :

I could right you a script lol!

Dr. Rick :

I think a few days more would not be a danger. However, if things change, the smear gets bigger, or you have any other symptoms, you should get a translator and be seen.

Customer:

I'll speak to my Spanish friend this evening. Thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.