Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have swelling under both eyes as well as dark circles which

Customer Question

I have swelling under both eyes as well as dark circles which have come about due to a dust mite allergy. I have tried a variety of antihistmaines and eye drops which have had little to no effect on bringing down the swelling under my eyes though have helped with the nasal congestion. Please could you recommend any medication which could be helpful as I feel particulalary distressed about the appearance.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thank you. I ahev never had any allergies in my life and recently moved into a flat with a dust mote infestation which has caused my under eyes top swell up and get allergic shiners

Dr. Rick :

Actually, rather then an antibiotic drop or ointment an easy at-home treatment, along with the use of artificial tears to soothe your eyes may help.

Customer:

I have tried using antihistamines such as clarityn and beandryl which have done nothing for the eyes but have helped with the nasal congestion.

Customer:

is it nomralto get swelling under the eyes from dust mites?

Dr. Rick :

Also, since in your case you know that there is an allergic component, I would use OTC allergy pills like Zertec. You might even want to try some Patanol 3x/day (Rx only). But, let me give you some information on lid scrubs:

Dr. Rick :

Try cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

Dr. Rick :

If you are allergic to them, sure. Of course, you may also be allergic to other things in addition to the dust mites.

Customer:

how about peparation H or anusol?! I have heard some bizarre stories about people putting arse hole cream under their eyes to relieve the inflammation!!!

Dr. Rick :

That will really, really hurt if it gets in your eyes. I'm not sure if it works on intact skin as well as it does on inflamed mucus membranes (hemorrhoids) but if you can keep it out of your eyes, give it a try. I, personally, would have the person who recommended I put that stuff on my face demonstrate how it removes edema on their face first :o)

Customer:

is allergic shiner a medical term?

Dr. Rick :

no. But I know what you mean.

Customer:

is swelling inder the eyes a common symptom of dust mite allergy? I have kind of daignosed this myself as prior to moving into the flat i didnt have any probelems.

Dr. Rick :

Dust mites have been around since the beginning of time. It is unusual to have an allergic reaction to dust mites alone. Perhaps it is something else in your flat, (I get a kick out of calling an apartment a flat......we don't call them that on this side of the Atlantic :) such as the carpet, mold in the walls, weird paint etc.

Dr. Rick :

It may be worth consulting an allergist if the baby shampoo lid scrubs and otc antihistamines don't do the trick for you.

Customer:

haha well you can tell I am a brit then! We also call an elevator a lift ! I will definitely try the eye lid wash. thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Always to happy to help my friends across The Pond

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Did you take the day off work for The Wedding?

Customer:

yes but i am no royalist. You Americans have the right idea!

Dr. Rick :

She's really good looking. Him. Not so much.

Customer:

So in summary,

Customer:

zertec

Customer:

patanol

Customer:

eye lash/lid wash

Customer:

do tea bags work?!

Dr. Rick :

You got it.

Dr. Rick :

Nope. But it does help to sell tea

Customer:

ok many thanks.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest