Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i had catarac removal and a new lense was put in. i have liquid

i had catarac removal and a new lense was put in. i have liquid in the back of this eye which i have been taking drops for my eye for about a month now have you heard of this does it get better sight since i only have one eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from CME. This happens after cataract surgery sometimes. The first line of treatment is eye drops.

Dr. Rick :

The use of the drops can go on for a couple of months. If edema is still present, either on clinical exam or with fluorescein angiogram with attendant decreased vision, then an injection of steroids can be given behind the eyeball.

Dr. Rick :

If this doesn't work, an injection of steroids inside the eyeball can be given and, possibly, laser treatment.

Dr. Rick :

What is the take home message from all of this? The vast majority of cystoid macular edema secondary to cataract surgery resolves with little or no treatment.

Dr. Rick :

My system shows you are in the chat room. Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you? Do you have any questions or comments?

Dr. Rick :

using the prednisone drops 4x/day is the standard dose.

Customer:

why don't they just give me a shot i have been suffering with this since the 31st of march

Dr. Rick :

Only very rarely is this condition severe enough to refer to a retina specialist.

Customer:

and remenber i only have one eye

Customer:

that is where he refered me

Dr. Rick :

Because the shot comes with side effects.....nothing in life is free. If things can improve with the drops alone, and the statistics say that it will, then why take the risk of severe steroid induced glaucoma, bleeding, damage to the eyeball etc. that comes with the shot?

Dr. Rick :

especially with just one eye.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist and the stepwise treatments I outlined above is how I approach most cases of post cataract surgery CME

Customer:

ok well i will take the drops for 5 weeks more and then see the surgeon

Dr. Rick :

Or ask your retina doc....in the long run, I believe you will be OK. It sounds like you are in very good hands.

Dr. Rick :

Try not to worry :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

he says the same thing lets see if the drops work

Dr. Rick :

See. Great minds do think alike =)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are they doing anything for the optic nerve of the eye so that sight may come back either here in the usa or any other country
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
The optic nerve is like a piece of the brain. Once it is destroyed or damaged there is nothing that can be done. While there is ongoing basic research on the topic there is no clinical way to restore lost function at any clinic in the world.

Sorry about that :(