Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is fluorometholone ,1% the drug of choice for Episcleritis and

Is fluorometholone ,1% the drug of choice for Episcleritis
and would you take this medication to rule out glaucoma as a differential diagnosis. Thanks
Hello and thanks for your question. For most cases of episcleritis there is no treatment required at all. However if a treatment becomes necessary or is desired then 1% FML is a very common choice of medicines.

If there is a concern over whether your symptoms are related to glaucoma or not, FML would not be used as a distinguishing factor. In fact, FML can actually cause an increase in eye pressure, thus exacerbating glaucoma. If the question of glaucoma needs to be ruled out, then it is necessary for a standard battery of glaucoma tests to be done.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would there be an alternate medication for episcleritis other than the above due to the side effect of the metallic taste associated with it. Thanks
Another steroid like prednisolone acetate 1% could be tried.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is my last reply. I appreciate your patience. If I am not bothered by the episcleritis is it self limiting and could it be confused with another condition. Thanks again very much
Yes, it is usually self-limiting. It can be confused with other things such as conjunctivitis, but any ophthalmologist worth their salt should not confuse the two.