Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a fan of eyelash extensions. My eyelash technician in

I am a fan of eyelash extensions. My eyelash technician in very good, but yesterday when I got a fill I opened my eye when she was still gluing my lashes on. I felt the fumes hurting my eye. The same evening my eye became red. i went back to my eyelash technician and she said it was broken blood vessels. It's red and it hurts when I put eyedrops in and feels uncomfortable as if something scratched inside my eye.
will this go away by itself? Will I always have a red eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

A broken blood vessel is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage and it is rarely painful.

Dr. Rick :

Since you are feeling like something got in your eye it is possible that a small amount of the glue fell in your eye along with the fumes. Eyelash glue is like superglue. It will not actually stick to your eyeball because the eyeball is moist.

Dr. Rick :

It does, however, form a small hard plastic button that, if it was to be caught under you lid would cause your eye to be really red and feel like something is in it.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you see an ophthalmologist, or if one is not available, an optometrist. They will double evert your lid, put in some stain and check for any chunks of eyelash glue.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.