Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

i never had allergies before and this has been going on for

i never had allergies before and this has been going on for mor than a year
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What has been going on?

Dr. Rick :

Ohhh...got it. Read the post I answered for you a moment ago....

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis, dry eyes and mild allergies could very well have been going on for years. That rubber band-like stuff is the normal mucus your eyes put out...it is thick because your tear film is abnormal.

Customer:

I GET IRRATATION IN MY EYES AND WHEN I TAKE MY FINGER AND A TISSUE I PULL A CLEAR STRING THAT ACTS LIKE A RUBBER BAND FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY EYE. I DON'T HAVE ALLERGIES. I 'VE ALWAYS HAD IT GROWING UP ONCE IN A BLUE MOON BUT NOW IT'S EVERY DAY. I'M SHOWERING 2 times a day and i use a wash cloth to clean them out but all i'm doing is irratating them

Dr. Rick :

so, in your case, your issue may be primarily dry eyes and, almost everyone has some, blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

Try the baby shampoo scrubs we talked about in your other post and using artificial tears. Give it at least 3 or 4 weeks of every day use and then see how things are. I bet they will be improved.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense?

Dr. Rick :

This can even occur at time when you are young. You just may be someone who had always been borderline on tear production.....

Dr. Rick :

If it is not better then a cornea/external disease specialist is the best person to go to for a complete evaluation....

Customer:

yes it does but what happens after the 3-4 weeks? will it come back? and whats the best one to use viszene?

Dr. Rick :

no. Do not use the 'get the red out' type of visine...that will just irritate things. Use natural tears or any brand of artificial tears. After 4 weeks you usually can decrease the frequency of lid scrubs and drops but, based on how long you have been suffering with this, I bet you will need to use some artificial tears and occasional lid scrubs just to keep things feeling ok

Dr. Rick :

How's that sound to you?

Customer:

ok i'll try this, but does it have to be baby shampoo, or can i just use soap

Dr. Rick :

soap hurts in your eyes....Johnsons and Johnsons baby shampoo doesn't :o) but both will do the job.

Dr. Rick :

I'd, personally, go the route without the pain, but each to their own lol!

Customer:

i also sometimes would put salt water in a eye cup to try and make it ball up, like when you go to the beach

Dr. Rick :

Be careful. Tap water and, if you are getting salt water from the ocean, can both have things in them that can cause serious and difficult to treat eye infections. I'd hold off on that activity.

Customer:

no i would just use tap water and sea salt

Dr. Rick :

Ya. There is a nasty bug that is in tap water.......you should only use sterile saline for that activity.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest