Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Vertical lines are distorted. Lines bow to the right in my left eye and to the left in my

Vertical lines are distorted. Lines bow to the right in my left eye and to the left in my right eye. Any clues?
With both eyes open there is no distortion.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

This started about 6 weeks ago, do you have any idea?

Dr. Rick :

Well, the most concerning condition that could cause this issue is swelling of your retina (macula).

Dr. Rick :

It could also be astigmatism, however I wouldn't expect that to come on all of a sudden 6 weeks ago.

Customer:

What could cause this swelling and what can be done about it?

Dr. Rick :

There a number of causes: Diabetes, macular degeneration, inflammation, infection, etc. The treatment depends upon the cause.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist without delay. It it is, indeed, an issue with your macula then the sooner it is addressed the better.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Have your eyes checked is a fairly general response. I think that would go without saying.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, but this is very important....It is hard for me, even though I am a retina specialist, to give you a pinpoint diagnosis when your symptoms could be do to a minor issue or an issue that can lead to blindness when my only tool available to 'examine' you is chat on a computer.

Dr. Rick :

I have gone over a couple of things that can be causing your symptoms. If you were a relative who lived a long way away and gave me the same information, I would give the same advice.

Dr. Rick :

Does this limitation make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

I'm not certain what I expected,Maybe the push to get the exam- which I will do asap.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent idea. I wish you the best of luck.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic?