Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Currently I receive Lucintas injections in both eyes each month

Customer Question

Currently I receive Lucintas injections in both eyes each month here in Australia.
I want to visit the U.S.A but will need an injection to maintain the monthly regime.

Would there be any adverse effect in switching to Avastin for one or two injections whilst in the U.S.A & then reverting to Lucintas on return to Australia

Avastin is not used in Australia
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

The question is

Dr. Rick :

Using Avastin instead of Lucentis will not be a problem. However, as a US based retina specialist I can tell you that do have Lucentis here too.

Customer:

is there any adverse effect from switching from lucintas to avastin for 1 mybe 2 injections

Dr. Rick :

We don't have electricity or automobiles ( we all ride oxen), but we do have Lucentis :o)

Customer:

I'm told the lucintas is prohibitively expensive where inAustralia it is subsidized by the govt

Dr. Rick :

That is very much correct. Avastin, in my experience, works as well as -- and sometimes better then -- lucentis in my wet ARMD patients.

Dr. Rick :

The high price of lucentis is almost a crime.....

Customer:

so I could "without worry" get the avastin & then come home without any problems

Dr. Rick :

Absolutely.

Customer:

do you have any idea of the cost of a double lucintas treatment & that of avastin & who I should contact in DC for the treatment

Dr. Rick :

It would be good if you could bring your most recent OCT or FA results with you when you visit so the doc can get an idea of how things may or may not have changed.

Customer:

have fresh OCT from last week

Dr. Rick :

For an Avastin injection and exam, without OCT or angiogram, I charge about $290...I'd have to check with my staff to get an exact figure. I also give a discount for cash payers.

Dr. Rick :

Great. Bring it.

Customer:

we will be a cash client our health insurance doesn't cover the U.S.A

Dr. Rick :

I don't know any of the retina docs in the DC area personally, but any retina specialist, and some general ophthalmologists, will be able to help you. I am in Northern Wisconsin.

Dr. Rick :

ok. You won't have any difficulty.

Customer:

bit out of the way for us

Dr. Rick :

Ya, but it is a lot nicer up here in the National Forests then the streets of DC.....although the museums are a lot of fun

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Bye Bye

Dr. Rick :

bye. have a safe trip

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It was a pleasure to help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. Have a great day.