Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hallo I have been getting blurred vision laterally in my

I have been getting blurred vision laterally in my field of vision on and off over the last few months. It last for about 10-15 minutes, then disappears. It has been left and right. Often accociated after intense reading/working on computer. Except for the lateral blur, the rest of my vision is fine. Allways unilateral. No accociated headaches. Had an eye check at an optometrist with NAD.
Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Hi. Thank you for getting back. As you will see form my previous application. Blurred vision in my lateral field of vision on and off. Lasts 10-20 minutes. Allways unilateral. But have experienced it in both left and right eyes. Often accociated after intense reading/computer work. No headdaches with it. Had an optometrist check it out- nothing abnormal.

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Your condition, even though your are not having headaches, sounds like ocular migraines. Many times the visual field changes are noticed in one eye as the other eye, while it has the same thing going on, is not as intense.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

I've personally had these since my 20

Dr. Rick :

's and rarely have the headache and often times notice the scotoma in one eye only.

Dr. Rick :

I doubt this is a retinal disease. And, as everyone wants to know, you don't have a brain don't max out all your cards with the plan of dying before the bill comes due lol!

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am still online and very happy with your answer. Will not be looking for early exits with brain tumours- thank you very much.

Will accept your answer.

Thanks again.

My pleasure. Have a great day.