Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I Have been diagnosed with Localised retinal detachment in

I Have been diagnosed with Localised retinal detachment in my right eye confirmmed by FA photographs of the eye, I have all the classic symptoms and I am having difficulty reading and using the computer. The specialist has said that they would not treat the condition immediatley and wouldreview the condition in 8 weeks time as it may repair itself. I am struggling at work due to my deteriorated eyesight. What should I do to help with the healing process as Currently I feel that I am putting additional strain on my vision
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Rick :

were you seen by an ophthalmologist? A retina specialist?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I am a retinal specialist. If a retina doc said that she was going to "watch" your localized retinal detachment you, most likely, have retinoschisis.

Customer:

Which means?

Dr. Rick :

This is a condition where the layers of your retina split. It is usually located in the periphery like you stated and, in most cases, is not progressive and requires no treatment. However, sometimes "holes" can form in the inner or outer layers, and then it can progress and need treatment.

Dr. Rick :

What that means is you are getting excellent care. If you were in my office with the same condition I would not do anything different.

Customer:

What can I do to help the healing process?

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do at home to affect this condition. In the vast majority of cases retinoschisis does not progress and doesn't cause any loss of vision.

Dr. Rick :

If you had to pick between the condition you have and a retinal detachment, having retinoschesis is the better way to go :o)

Dr. Rick :

I am glad you were able to be examined by a retinal specialist...I've heard that it can be very difficult to get into a subspecialist in the UK...

Customer:

As I said in my original message my eyesight has deteriorated and I want to know if continuing to put strain on my eyes will hamper recovery.

Dr. Rick :

Also, you do not have to worry about hurting your eyes by 'putting additional strain on them' You will not damage your eyes by using 'em.

Dr. Rick :

looks like we were typing on the same topic at the same time :)

Customer:

Would my high blood pressure be having an impact on my condition

Dr. Rick :

No, that should not have affected this at all.

Dr. Rick :

On your next visit the retina specialist will look closely for the formation or any inner or outer layer holes, any progression in the retinoscheisis and the formation of a pigment line (although that usually takes a little longer to form) at the edge of the schesis. The pigment line, which must not have been present during your last exam, is a very strong sign that things are not progressing and that they have been stable for a long time.

Dr. Rick :

I can not tell you enough how glad I am you were seen by a retinal specialist. This condition is easily misdiagnosed and mistreated.....

Customer:

I was diagnosed with old age degenration 12 months ago when I suffered a !0%deteriation in eysight in an instant. 12 months later 5 weeks ago I woke with a shadow in my vision and my sight has since deteriarated. So this was a significant change in the condition?

Dr. Rick :

If you are saying that you have dry age related macular degeneration, then you should be taking a multivitamin, such as ICaps or Occuvite per the recommendation of the AREDS study. If you smoke, however, these vitamins should be discussed with your GP first.

Dr. Rick :

The sudden shadow in your vision is a classic symptom of a retinal detachment. If you had told me that you were seen by anyone other then an ophthalmologist or a retina specialist and told you had a localized detachment and come back in 8 weeks, I would be very concerned that they got it wrong. However, as a retina specialist myself, I know that we never make mistakes ;o) lol!

Dr. Rick :

And, yes, that would qualify as a significant change....

Customer:

I stopped smoking 7 years ago, I also exercise regularly have an excellent diet and take vitamin supplements so I hope you understand my concerns. I spend most of the day working on computer and producing reports and conducting data analysis and I am finding it a struggle even though I've increased resolution and font sizes anything else |I can do becuase I cant get a new eye prescription until it settles or I have to undertake further treatment.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, I understand completely. It is good that you have given up smoking etc. Concerning your vision at the moment I wonder if you could just get an inexpensive set of new glasses to carry you over for now?

Dr. Rick :

Actually, the difficulty with reading the computer is most likely due more to your macular changes then the retinoschesis.....

Customer:

Ok Thank You for your advice, whats the worst case scenario if condition doesn't improve and indeed gets worse within the next 8 weeks.

Dr. Rick :

Should the schesis cause a retinal detachment (this is not common by the way) then it might be able to be treated with laser in the doctors office, the injection of a gas bubble in the office, or it may need repair in the operating room. The good news? Since you are being closely watched, and are obviously very aware of your condition and symptoms, any problems/progression would be treated before it becomes a real problem.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Customer:

Yes I'm still here. I'm glad I took the opportunity to get some impartial feedback that confirms original diagnosis. I guess I'll have to struggle on while symptoms stabalise or progress. Thank you for your responses to my questions

Customer:

Regards

Customer:

Jim

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good Mothers day....if they do that in the UK

Dr. Rick :

Thanks Jim. Best of luck to you.

Customer:

They do but we do it in March. June for Father's day

Dr. Rick :

oh.....

Dr. Rick :

bye

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
.