Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

eye discharge

i sufer from alergies, and for the last week my eyes have been really bad, they start to bother a lot, itchy, very red and swolen so i yhought is from the alergies but im having a lot of discharge from the eyes, if i lift the eyelids i can se discharge,is white and is sticky, is hard to remove from the eye cuz is like thik ans sticky i usualy clean it, it feels like i have pink eye, but im not sure im not sensitive to light, at night the discharge is more. what can this be? what can i do to fix it?? Im taking veramist, and clarinex for the alergies, but my eyes dont seem to get better i also put a drop antihestamine eye drops twice a day but is not helping?? is driving me crazy what can i do? what is this??

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer: Hi Dr. My eyes are driving me crazy and getting worried too
Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your allergies have caused some loss of tear film function. You may be suffering from a combination of things, instead of allergies alone. Also, the antihistamine drops can irritate your sensitive eyes even more.....

Customer: Ok
Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Try this treatment. It should help your eyes to feel better, but you may not get total relief until the allergy season calms down some. I do not think you have pink eye from what you have said.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.