Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

rust in my left eye removed by an opthamologist 18 hours..eye drops

About a week-and-a-half ago I had some metal and surrounding rust in my left eye removed by an opthamologist 18 hours after the incident occurred. I was given eye drops and sent on my way. There was of course some very intense pain the night following the procedure, but other than that, healing seemed to proceed normally. However after 6 days I was seeing halos at night and had some double vision. I scheduled a follow up. The 2 nights before the appointment, the double vision and halos cleared up a bit, so I figured I was healing normally. I was given an eye chart test, and the opthamologist examined my eye for scarring. I was told that I was all healed up and that everything was fine, and that if I was noticing some double vision NOW, it was probably indicative of a problem I had BEFORE. Now, I MAY have had a slight problem before, but this feels MUCH different. The day after my follow up, reading at a distance is somewhat disorienting, and I still have some double vision in the affected eye. It also FEELS different, cloudy somehow. I am concerned. I have never had vision problems in the past. Help?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

While it would be unusual for a metallic corneal foreign body to cause corneal warping, especially in the face of a normal slit lamp exam it is, I suppose, possible.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you have corneal topography done and a good refraction. This should show if there is any corneal cause for your monocular diplopia.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.