Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

day 9 of red, weepy, swollen eye..Eye..Swollen glands near tongue

I thought it was just allergies, then it became "pink eye", it's day 9 of red, weepy, swollen eye, the other eye is just slightly red, compared to this one that is really red. Eye seals shut at night from the clear discharge. Swollen glands near tongue. Eye hurts when blinked. No remiedies ie drops, eye wash seem to be making any improvement. Should I see an Opthomologist? How soon?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

I await your answer . . . FYI, no fever

Dr. Rick :

ok.

Dr. Rick :

Looks like you have tried a number of things.

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Now, you might ask, is it possible that this is a viral or bacterial conjunctivitis? Yes. The good news? If it is viral, or any of the things above, the above treatment will make it better. If it is bacterial, it will get worse and, on Monday you can go see an ophthalmologist for some antibiotic eye drops.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was replying when I got popped out of the page.
I have been applying all the remedies you mention in your answer and feel that it must be Bacterial conjunctivities since the remedies are not making any improvements. So, the answer is I should contact an Opthomologist on Monday to get antbiotic treatment?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Oh...sorry about that :(

Yes, at this point I think a course of antibiotic drops is indicated. Cipro or zymar are good drops to use.....