Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi, I recently been diagnosed with floaters by my eye doctor

Customer Question

I recently been diagnosed with floaters by my eye doctor is there anything that can help me not notice them.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about them? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss on this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I noticed recently that my floaters have been increasing is that normal also I have heard there is some medicines to fix floaters is this true.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yes, they can increase a little, but if you are seeing tons and tons of new floaters or having a lot of flashes of light, this may be a sign that you have pulled a hole in your retina. In this case you should see an ophthalmologist ASAP.

The only thing the medicines that say they are good at treating floaters are good for is floating money out of your pocket and into the hands of a bunch of crooks :o)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
These things suck bad i notice them a lot now. My one friend said optometrists cant tell if you have floaters but she did dilate my eyes do i need to see an opthalmologist
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yes, optometrists wouldn't know a floater if it reached out and bit them. Go see an ophthalmologist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Haha thats true. I just went to my optometrist because I never been to an ophthalmologist.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
See. Finally, at 23, you are going to get a good eye exam. :)

If you want you can press that pretty green button on your screen again. It's up to you.... :)

You know from past experience that I won't abandon you just because you help my poor, starving, barefoot, girls to walk with confidence through the snake infested tall grass with their new shoes on.......and my youngest is your age, can cook, is awful good looking and single at the moment lol!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more Dr. Rick. I heard inter cranial pressure can cause floaters is this true or just a myth. The internet says all kinds of different things.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I have never heard of that and it never figures into any differential diagnosis for floaters I've ever seen.

So, I would have to say that is not a concern.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my floaters were decreasing but now I am starting to see them a lot more, and my eyes are very sensitive to light. It also seems that my vision is a little off. I have been having sinus pressure for a while could that be causing it. I don't have migraines though
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
No. The sinus pressure would not be expected to affect your floaters at all.

The amount you see the floaters can change from time to time. This is nothing to be concerned about.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It sucks to have them I just want them to disappear haha. I know my vision seems to be a little off too. Thats why I thought it has something to do with my headaches.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The floaters are just a vitrectomy away from being gone.......but, as we've discussed, not worth the risk of the surgery....

:o)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I thought I would give you an update. I still have bad floaters but I also have some anxiety problems I believe. My floaters have not decreased but I don't think they have increased. I just know I have a good amount of them in both eyes. I know they can sink out of your vision but mine have not gotten any better. I just want them to go away. I have heard of a guy in Washington D.C. who uses lasers to get rid of floaters but I don't know if his procedure is safe yet. He has done many patients though.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having some much trouble.

Using a laser to try and break up the floaters so that they will maybe sink out of your vision is safe if extreme care is taken to not get to close to the retina, back of the lens or other important structures inside the eye.

In my experience as a retina surgeon if the floaters are that much of a problem I would just proceed with a pars plana vitrectomy. This gets rid of all the floaters but, as I stated before, there are significant risks to this surgery.

I personally don't think zapping a few strands of vitreous floaters is the way to go....but if you wanted to try it, and the ophthalmologist was careful, it probably wouldn't hurt you.

Does this make sense?

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I can live with them I just have other symptoms so I think that it effects my floaters or could be the cause. I am just surprised that at 22 I have so many floaters. Most of my friends are like what is a floater. My own parents don't even have them. They are like little black specks, and I have them in both eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
It is not unusual, at least in my practice, to have young folks with floaters. The best way, of course, to make sure that is what is causing your symptoms is to have a dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist. But, from what you have been telling me, I'd bet that your floaters are from a posterior vitreous detachment.......I had my first PVD when I was in my mid 20's.....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it common to have them in both eyes. I still didn't go to an ophthalmologist, but I did have an optometrist look at them. She said they were PVD. She dilated my eyes and looked at them.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
yes. It is common to have them in both eyes.

If you still worried see an ophthalmologist....optometrists really are not as well trained as an eye MD. She may have dilated your eyes but I'm not so sure she knows what she was looking at.