Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my eyesight blurs and then clears up after a few seconds.

my eyesight blurs and then clears up after a few seconds.  I had heart surgery in October.  In February, my optomologist said to wait till August to revisit the situation.  Katherine
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does this seem to occur in both eyes or just one....have you tried to test it one eye at a time?

Customer:

left

Dr. Rick :

Ok. So this is in your left eye only.

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Does the vision kinda dim, go all the way to black, then sorta come back on?

Customer:

just fades out, but not to black

Dr. Rick :

ok, then comes back. Is it blurry, and then gets better with blinking, sorta like having oil on your windshield in the rain, or is more like a dimmer switch type thing/

Dr. Rick :

?

Customer:

blinking doesn't help, but the windshield analogy is right on. My cardio said the anascetic (sp) was responsible, but would clear up. Has gotten worse this last month.

Dr. Rick :

Well, the think I worry about is that you could be having what is called amaurosis fugax. This is a transient loss of vision in one eye due to a number of systemic conditions, the most common condition being from an emboli (blood clot/plaque etc) or a vascular problem.

Dr. Rick :

In this condition, however, the analogy of oil on your windshield, with variations in blurriness that kinda wax and wane, do not really fit. In amaurosis fugax it is like someone has turned off your eye or is slowly turning it off.

Dr. Rick :

Just to be clear on this important point, which one would you say fits your symptoms better?

Customer:

I don't quite understand the difference between the two.

Dr. Rick :

In one condition, your vision gets blurry, but it does not get dim or go away...... in the other one your vision just "goes away" like turning off a lightbulb and then it just turns back on.

Customer:

It is more like it gets blurry. If there is vision there, it is impossible to recognize what it is.

Customer:

It does not go completely black.

Dr. Rick :

Ok, that is good. I bet your problem is more of a surface issue and maybe using natural tears will help clear things up. However, to be sure, I think it is best you see you Ophthalmologist before August just to make sure you don't have evidence of vascular problems. Here is a good article on Amaurosis fugax, just for your information.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Yes. You have convinced me that I have to get in touch with my doctor instead of sitting here and worrying about it. Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great day :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest