Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Dear Dr... Afrwe my wife had acatarat operation. Two days after

Dear Dr... Afrwe my wife had acatarat operation. Two days after she suffered an attack. It is now about 8 months and she still has not recoverd total vision . My question how much time she has to wait to recover. Tks a lot for your help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. Did her ophthalmologist tell her what kind of attack or problem happened to her eyes?

Was it an ischemic optic neuropathy? Was it a retinal vein or arteriole occlusion? Was it macular degeneration? Was it an elevated pressure (glaucoma) attack?

Is there any additional information you can give me regarding what may have happened to her?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ih Sorry Dr. I am not able to aswer those questions. I had better cancel my question . Tks

Don't cancel yet. Maybe we can figure this out together.

How soon after the cataract surgery did she lose vision in that eye?

Was the vision loss sudden (over seconds to minutes) or was it gradual (days) in onset?

Is her vision problem in that eye a generalized decrease in the quality of vision or is she missing an actual portion of her visual field?

Were there any complications in the cataract surgery that you were informed of?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr..I believe she had an blocked vein as the Dr told us. The vein in the back of the head leading to the eye. She got askal 38 to help the blockage. (sorry for my bad english). I hope this will help. Tks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can she recover her full sight?

When someone has a vein occlusion of the vein leading to the eye this is generally a poor visual prognosis. Seeing as how it is 8 months after the incident, I would expect that whatever vision has returned is likely going to be the most vision that you should expect to have return. Unfortunately, these are just devastating diagnoses that cause mostly permanent vision loss.

If she has recovered any useful vision after this event then I think she is doing very well, but I wouldn't expect her to regain her prior vision again.

I wish I could give you a better prognosis, but in this case, I think she is doing pretty good to get some vision back.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.