Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

what is the significance of an abnormally deep anterior ch

what is the significance of an abnormally deep anterior chamber?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. In the absence of eye problems such as a red, painful eye with decreased vision, a history of eye surgery or trauma then an abnormally deep anterior chamber does not hold any clinical significance. Is there any problem related to your son's anterior chamber or eye problem that I need to know about to understand context?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, he was referred for connective tissue disorder....the toss up is between ehlers danlos, and marfans. depending on who you ask.
Okay, I see. I don't see any connection between connective tissue diseases and a deep anterior chamber. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was trying to find any info relating the 2 but I couldn't. We just came back from the appt and she said it is diagnostic of genetic connective tissue disorder.... I just don't get it....and can't find any reference to it anywhere! am I misunderstanding something? she even wrote a note for me to take to the school because she doesn't want him participating in sports until he has finished his other specialist evaluations and told him he is absolutely never to go on rides at amusement parks. he's pretty bummed right now.
While the anterior chamber depth can be deeper in patients with Marfan's disease, this is not a sign that has a high predictive value for the diagnosis. There are many factors that go into the diagnosis and that sign may be a piece of the puzzle. However, I do not think a deep anterior chamber, by itself, equates to connective tissue disease v

Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could it just be that she saw that and along with what the other doctor saw...is being cautious? He is very tall and thin for his age and has hypermobile joints and a high palate, and a bit of an eye turn and lazy eye. his fingers are long too...

just trying to make sense of an unexpected day
I think that is precisely what she is doing--being cautious. Knowing all those signs you've mentioned I think that the caution is appropriate. I have kids too and know what it's like to have to restrain a child from doing what they love to do.

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions that I can help you with?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You have been very helpful...I can live with caution. Thanks so much for your time.
You're welcome. Good luck to all of you. I'll keep your son in my thoughts.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology