Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have been under alot of stress lately..my vision has been

I have been under alot of stress lately..my vision has been somewhat blurry...I use reading glasses and can see good with them..but when I am not reading I see blurry...I went to see an eye doctor...said my vision was 20/20 but of course I need reading glasses...The Doctor also said I have the be g inning of cataracts...but should be ok for another 10 years of so..can you tell me what can be causing the blurred vision...I also have been on the computor more than usual...thanks so much ..
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Do you have prescription glasses for distance and reading?

Dr. James :

Does the blurry vision improve when you blink?

Customer:

can you tell me what you think?I have over the counter reading glasses 2.25..no it does not get better when I blink

Dr. James :

In what situations is your vision clear and when is it blurry?

Customer:

If I feel more anxious it gets worse

Dr. James :

Both the near and distance vision?

Customer:

No just the distance..when I use my reading glasses I read clearly..I just dont see as sharp as I use to...the eye Dr. said it comes with age..can that be all it is?

Dr. James :

You likely have a small amount of prescription. So prescription glasses may sharpen your vision further, even if your vision is 20/20.

Dr. James :

Even with 20/20 vision, early cataracts can degrade the quality of your vision someone, namely the decline in contrast sensitivity.

Dr. James :

Since they are early and your vision is 20/20, surgery is not necessary at this time.

Customer:

So should I go back to the eye Dr. and ask for distance glasses..and why wouldn't he have suggested that to me?

Dr. James :

What I usually do in cases where there is a small prescription but the patient is 20/20 without glasses is to put the prescription in trial lenses and allow them to walk around the office to see if it makes any difference.

Dr. James :

If so, then I would prescribe the glasses.

Customer:

Ok I will go b ack to him..could you also tell me if stress could also be a reason for the blurry vision?

Dr. James :

Possibly.

Dr. James :

Stress can cause your focusing muscles to spasm and put things out of focus.

Customer:

So I quess I should just go back and see if prescrition glasses will help..what do you think?

Dr. James :

Yes, that may help.

Customer:

Dr. James..thanks so much for your advice..I really appreciate it...Teresa

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon