Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

About 10 years ago at age 50 I underwent cataract surgery on

About 10 years ago at age 50 I underwent cataract surgery on both eyes and lenses were implanted into each eye. About a year later I had a problem with hazed sight in my left eye and had the membrane behind the lens lazared to correct the problem. Approximately a year after that procedure I noticed that, again in my left eye, there was a blurred spot which still exists and actually appears to have gotten worse. Unlike a floater the spot seems to remain in the same exact location. It does not affect my sight when I look straight ahead although I can tell that it's there just off to the side of my center of vision. However when I look straight ahead and and move my eyes left the spot slides across my line of sight to the right. When I move my eyes to the right the spot moves across my line of sight to left. When I move my eyes up it slides down and when I move my eyes down it slides up. Once the spot moves across my sightline I am able to look around it until I move my eyes in another direction. The more light there is the more noticeable the effect. Obviously this is very distracting and can cause a bit of a motion sickness effect. I told my ophtalmologist about this but he said there is nothing he could do about it and that I would have to learn to live with it. I have learned to live with it to a degree over the years but I would like to get it corrected if possible.

My question is, based on what I described, could the lens be damaged (maybe by the lazar procedure that was performed) or could there perhaps be a calcium deposit that has formed on the implant lens maybe due to the lazar. Can calcium deposits form by themselves on a implant lens like other places in the body? What are the other possible causes for this problem? Thank you - Mike
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question, Mike. Yes, there can be microscopic little pits that form in the lens implant related to the laser that was done. Also, there can be deposits that form on the lens, but usually if that does happen, they are white blood cells deposits related to inflammation in and around the lens--this is quite rare.

I know your experience with past floaters has been that the floater seems to stay in the exact same place relative to the rest of your visual field no matter where or how you move your eyes. This is actually a bit abnormal for a floater. Usually floaters behave as you have described this spot behaving. They tend to trail behind the eye movements and you can see around them as they settle down in one position. The fact that you see this much more noticeably when there is more light is also another distinguishing characteristic of a floater. In this case, the only thing that can be done about the floater is surgery and it is a major surgery. That's not to say that it shouldn't be done. For persons with floaters that are significantly affecting their lives, the risks of the surgery become worthwhile and they mostly do very well afterwards.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The floaters that I have experienced are more like a dark crooked wormlike line that I see when my eyes are closed and facing up toward bright sunlight. They do kind of follow the movement of the eye and may even disappear from sight as the float around. I don't have a problem with those. What I am trying to describe is something that looks like a blurry somewhat transparent smudge that is always there and as I described always moves to the exact same spot in my vision in conjunction with the movement of the eye. It always appears to return to the exact same spot in my vision when I look straight ahead. It's like it is permanently attached to something and not floating in the vitreous fluid. Can this still be a floater? Is it possible for the membrane behind the lens to re-appear after being lazared? Thanks - Mike
Thanks for the extra information. It is definitely possible for floaters to take the shape of a fixed smudge and in my experience is frequently referred to in this manner by my patients.

It is nearly impossible for this membrane to grow back again once it is lasered away. The one exception is that once in a blue moon there is a significant inflammation around the lens that can cause an inflammatory membrane to form which can cause a haze to the vision. I've only seen this once, though--pretty rare.

Does that make sense?
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology