Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

my 76 year old mother is suffering from dry macular degeneration.

my 76 year old mother is suffering from dry macular degeneration. Resently she has been complaining of seeing what she calls a hideous monster. Its a small "ugly" thing that sits in the corner of the TV or between people on the TV. and she also complains of our faces turning old and wrinkled when she is looking at us. Is this typical for this disease?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like she might be having further deterioration of her macular degeneration. While it is not common for patients to say that their relatives are starting to look old and wrinkled, I can see how changes in her retina could make her say things like that.

Dr. Rick :

As macular degeneration gets worse it can cause objects that she looks directly at to appear warped, bent and wrinkled. Perhaps this is what she means.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you take her in for an evaluation with her ophthalmologist in the near future to fully evaluate her retina.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.