Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I have dark black flosters crossing my left eye. Is has beern

Customer Question

I have dark black flosters crossing my left eye. Is has beern going on for about three hours and the lines are beginning to move from just the outside corner to acroos my full vision. At first it was like a small strand or hair blowing across my face and now still the same effect but larger and darker. What might be the issue and whart should I do. I do wear bifocal lenses.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the dark floater, how is the vision in the left eye for distance?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you experienced any flashes of light along with this symptom?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have not entered the chat, I guess you must have stepped away from the computer. For the moment we will switch over to the Q & A format and continue the discussion there.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
I'm available here for further discussion. I'll wait for your reply to a few queries I've asked.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No flashes of light, distance vision is fine with my glasses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought I had an answer and pressed accept......What should I do now????

Thank you for the reply.

Since the distance vision is fine with the present glasses, the floater is likely to be from posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

PVD is a condition in which the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its retinal attachment as a result of aging. During this the retina gets irritated or kind of stretched and gives rise to the symptom of flashes of light. Once the vitreous gets detached , it gets clumped and gives rise to the symptom of floaters ( wavy line/cobwebs/black strings). It is otherwise a harmless condition which needs no further treatment except for the fact that very rarely it may induce tiny peripheral retinal tears. Now these retinal tears can be detected by a dilated eye exam and if found they can be safely sealed with lasers. If left alone the retinal tears have a remote tendency to get converted into a frank retinal detachment. The visual acuity remains more or less good except when obscured by a large floater.

In order to confirm the intactness of the peripheral retina it is better to get your eye examined by an ophthalmologist( but not an emergency as long as there are no sudden flashes of light or fogginess of vision).

Sorry for the delay but it takes time to type the response. Do not press the accept button again as you have already done so.

Thank you and best wishes
There are other eye conditions too which can give rise to such a symptom such as ocular migraine ( can give rise to scotoma-non seeing areas in the visual field) but the symptoms seldom last for more than a few minutes to half an hour. A retinal detachment or a vitreous hemorrhage will have a sudden onset but then the vision will be reduced in both the conditions and not remain as good as earlier. PVD usually is preceded by a flash of light but can occur even without.So that leaves us with a high index of suspicion about PVD as the cause of the floater. Anyway a dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist will help to rule out all the above conditions . In case of a PVD the eye does not show any abnormality or positive findings ( except for the peripheral retinal tears if any).

Please feel free to ask any further clarification in this regard.

Thank you