Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Quivering, serrated ring of triangles, circling, visible through

Quivering, serrated ring of triangles, circling, visible through both eyes,especially (I think) when tired?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. These episodes seem fairly typical for migraine. A typical migraine starts with shimmering or flashing lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises, but everyone's pattern is different; some people don't have any of these other symptoms. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), a headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.  
The visual phenomenon that people experience with migraines do vary from person to person but often involve blurry vision with a lighted phenomenon; many people describe them as shimmering, but most consistently is an abnormal lighted visual phenomenon associated with blurring or hazy vision.
One of the less commonly known features of migraines is that many persons can have this visual migraine phenomenon without actually having headache; this is called an acephalgic migraine. The spectrum of severity of headaches among migraine sufferers runs the gamut from no headache to severe, debilitating headaches.
There tend to be many varied triggers for migraines, but some of the most common are chocolate, wine and cheese, stress, overuse of the eyes, and exposure to fluorescent lighting. 
Many people find that over-the-counter migraine preparations such as Excedrin-migraine work well. The common theme among these preparations is the ingredient of caffeine. There are prescription medicines that can be taken on a daily basis to help prevent them (if they become frequent enough to alter your life) and there are also medicines that can be taken on an as needed basis to help abort the headaches once they start. Most primary care doctors feel comfortable prescribing these, but if not, a neurologist would be a good place to start.
If you are having other symptoms such as loss of vision in one eye, double vision, difficulty talking or swallowing, or are experiencing numbness or weakness in any specific part of the body, these are symptoms which are not normal for migraines and you should see either your primary care doctor or an emergency room doctor as soon as possible.
Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?
I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. 
If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.