Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Im seeing black thread-like images in my left eye, even when

I'm seeing black thread-like images in my left eye, even when it's closed. They also jump around.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is good that you had an eye exam with no abnormalities found. It is important that your eyes were dilated during that exam. If not, then you should have it done.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.