Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my son recently went to the dr because he had a huge bump

my son recently went to the dr because he had a huge bump on his eye in the middle bottom under the lash line of the uppper eyelid. i t was visiibly blocking part of his pupil that is how bug ut was, they just dianose it as an infection and gave some antibitoic cream> Now two weeks later he is having trouble seeing out of that eye. His vision was 20/15 before this and now he couldnt read the clock ten feet away from him when covering the unaffected eye. could this be a misdiagnosis?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was the eyelid swelling painful to begin with?

Customer:

no it was a little tender but he said it didnt hurt much he only started having pain in his eye this morning

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Can he see from the affected eye by lifting the eyelid upwards?

Customer:

a little but its blurry

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is he still applying the antibiotic eye ointment?

Customer:

no it was only prescribed for 7 days every 4 to 5 hours

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Has the lid swelling resolved now , after two weeks, or is it still seen?

Customer:

no there is still the tiniest bump that is barley visbile under the lash line they said it was an extra piece of skin and to just put a warm compress on the eye for 5 min a day and try to flush it out

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Can you just let me know the names of the eye ointment and eye drops used for this ?

Customer:

i dont have that with me it is at home i know the eye crea, started with an O and the eye drops started with a M

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Who was the treating doctor- GP or an optometrist?

Customer:

i am just concerned that he said it was hurting this mornign then could not see out of it the dr was a GP

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. From the given symptoms it appears like he had an internal hordeolum( or a stye) due to the presence of the swelling and some amount of tenderness and the site of the swelling. It usually resolves well with warm compresses and antibiotic ointment and should not cause any kind of reduced visual acuity.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Blurring of vision is known to occur with the use of eye ointment due a thin film over the anterior surface of the eye but its effect would not last for so long as a week after stopping it.

Customer:

should i take him to the eye dr since he is experiencing some loss of vision in that eye then because they just diagnosed it as a stye but i don't understand then why two weeks later hes now having pain in the eye and loss of vision

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes it would be better to get his eyes examined by an eye doctor for a closer look , as there can be painful conditions of the eye which can cause reduction in vision ( can get missed by torchlight examination) such as a keratitis or even an iritis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But neither of these would be related to the stye which was treated a week back.

Customer:

ok yes beacuse i am freaking out that he cant see out of that eye i dont want any permanent damage done

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Relax, whatever is the cause of this painful eye with reduced vision, is treatable ,as most of the anterior segment conditions are.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I wish your son well.Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist