Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I just had a Ptosis surgery on my right eye. Is it normal that

I just had a Ptosis surgery on my right eye. Is it normal that it is constantly irritated to the point of continuous running of tears?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

Doctor DanB :

When was your surgery?

Customer:

about 12 hours ago

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately it is quite common for an eye that has just had ptosis surgery to be irritated to this degree. More coming...

Doctor DanB :

What you are likely experiencing is a double-whammy. The eye can get quite irritated just from the surgery itself; this is definitely going to cause the eye to tear and feel generally crummy. Also, though, the cornea is now more exposed to the air than it has been and it's not used to it. This, also, is causing the eye to be irritated, leading to tearing.

Customer:

I am wearing contact lenses and taking Vigamox

Doctor DanB :

It sounds like you've been using ice packs to decrease the swelling associated with the eyelid surgery. You may consider (also) trying a clean, wet, cool washcloth held over the eye to help with the irritation. But perhaps probably more useful would be to use artificial tears, 4-5x/day and to instill a little bit of lubricating ophthalmic ointment into the eye before you sleep tonight and maybe even in the morning (knowing that it may blur the vision if you use it during the day). You may consider foregoing the use of the contact lenses right now and just use glasses while you're in the first few days of recovering from the surgery.

Customer:

Yeah, my doctor told me to wear the contact lenses to protect the eye from the stitches for the first 2 days and then switch to the ointment without the contact lenses for another 5. But it's good to know this is a normal thing, I was very worried.

Doctor DanB :

That sounds like a good alternative. In this case, I would recommend using the artificial tears in addition to the vigamox. But yes, this is a very normal thing that should get better and better over the next few days. If it is getting worse the further you get away from the surgery, then this is not normal and you should contact your surgeon about that. Can I help answer any other questions regarding this topic?

Customer:

No, thank you very much

Customer:

you have a good night

Doctor DanB :

you're welcome.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology