Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Im seeing flashes in my right eye, around the edge. A floater

I'm seeing flashes in my right eye, around the edge. A floater has also appeared (a possible 'weiss ring'). From what I can gather, this may constitute an emergency, or it may be something that can wait to see my regular opthamologist. I have had cataract surgery about a month back and am nearsighted, which I gather increases some risks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people and more common after cataract surgery..

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found. Calling tomorrow for an appointment should be fine.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

Hellos.

Customer:

I see only the one floater that seems new. The flashing is on the very edge. My main concern is whether this can wait till the morning.

Dr. James :

Yes, it can wait until the morning.

Customer:

Sorry, I see you already answered this. I must have skipped

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.?