Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I had cataract surgery a week ago. Since the surgery, it feels

Customer Question

I had cataract surgery a week ago. Since the surgery, it feels like my eye is jumping, especially when I move it. My doctor told me that he doesn't know what is causing this. It doesn't hurt and you cannot see the eye visibly jump but it's annoying. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Dr. James :

Is it one eye or both eyes?

Dr. James :

Is it your eye or your eyelid that feels like jumping?

Dr. James :

Is the vision out of that eye jumpy as well?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It feels like my eye itself is jumping, not the eyelid. I answered the rest of your questions somewhere else but they are: I've had my left eye operated on and will have the right eye operated on in 2 weeks. The vision in my eye jumps when my eye jumps.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Eyeball jumping is called "nystagmus". This is something your ophthalmologist can see directly. This is unlikely then case since your doctor was not able to observe this.

Another reason could be that the newly implanted lens may be moving as you move your eye. In the early period after surgery, the lens may have not have had time to settle into place. At your next visit, you should ask you doctor to look closely at your lens especially when you move your eyes quickly to look a the stability of the implanted lens.