Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have abnormal blood vessels in the retina of my right eye.

Customer Question

I have abnormal blood vessels in the retina of my right eye. I had laser sugrey in Dec. of 2010 to stop the bleeding.I am not diabetic or have any thing else that would cause this.My question is should I be worried about vision loss or possible going blind?..Is there anything I can do to help out my eyes from getting worse?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Oops....I have to step away from my computer for a bit....I will return :)

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm back

Dr. Rick :

Are you highly nearsighted?

Dr. Rick :

Also, where was the bleeding blood vessels located? Where they in the center (macula) of your retina, or were they off in the edge (periphery)?

Dr. Rick :

How is the vision in the right eye now? How was it before the laser treatment?

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for your patience. I am standing by....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry we keep missing each other. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other.

I look forward to hearing from you so we can continue to work on your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

I am nearsighted ,it is in my periphery...My sight is 20/20 with my glasses now.It was 20/30 before the laser treatment.thanks for talk to me.~Alishia

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Ok That is very good. I am a retina specialist so retina is all I do. Well, not all. I eat, sleep, go to movies, etc. But it is all I do at work :)

Did you doctor give you any clue why you needed laser for peripheral vascular abnormalities? Do you have sickle cell anemia or any other medial/genetic problems? What sort of symptoms did you have that may have been related to this problem? Floaters? Flashes of light? Loss of vision from an eye full of blood?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He said because it was bleeding He said that it wasn't much....I saw and still do see floater.I don't have any medical promblems. He had me tested for all that. No flashers or loss of vision from the blood.( It sounds like I am talk to the right guy)~Alishia
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Well, it is good that the bleeding is minimal and the laser solved it.

I would think, in a healthy woman such as yourself, that the cause for an isolated spot of bleeding in the periphery of your retina is from a small retinal tear and, not, an abnormal blood vessel.

So, what does that mean? It means that, as long as the retinal tear is sealed and the bleeding stopped, you do not need to go get a seeing eye dog :) However, it is important that you follow up with the ophthalmologist within 4 weeks of the laser treatment to make sure everything is OK. Also, should you start to see a bunch of flashes of light, tons of new floater or a curtain/shade/dark spot coming across your vision from any direction you need to be seen right away as this could be a sign of a detaching retina.

Now. If this doctor says you do not have a hole, and says that it is an "abnormal blood vessel" but can't explain it any better then that, then you need to go see a retina specialist (since it is a known fact we are very smart lol!) to find out what is really going on.

I know I covered a lot there. So. What is the take home message? Don't worry. Follow up with your ophthalmologist. Enjoy Spring.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if you have any further questions, comments or would like me to elaborate more on any area of this issue. I'll stay online for a bit longer, but it is past my bedtime and I need all the beauty sleep I can get.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Yes. I know it is May, and May is a lot more then 4 weeks away from December....so, I guess you have safely passed the 4 week and the 4 month follow schedule already.

Reading never was my longsuit =)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am seeing a retina specialist who did the treatment and told me that it was abnormal blood vessels.Sorry for keeping u up.~Alishia... I saw him 2 weeks ago he said I looked good.and wanted to see me 6 months

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Well, you are in excellent hands. You might just grill him a little bit next time you see him and say you would like to know more about why he thinks these vessels showed up in your eye, is there a condition/name he can give to it. It would be interesting (at least to me :) to know.

Take care, have a good evening, thanks for your patience today, and don't worry about going blind. And, no, there is nothing you can personally do to impact things/keep them from getting worse, other then what you are already doing: Learning as much as you can about your condition (by talking to the wonderful doctors at just answer) and getting the best care possible.

If you do learn more about what this is I'd love to hear from you. You can drop me a line on this site. Good night and take care.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help.You have good night ~Alishia
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure.