Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Im going to have eye correction op Monday. I did have this

Customer Question

I'm going to have eye correction op Monday. I did have this done last year but it has moved back. But not all the way back. Do you think this could go back again.

Kind regards XXXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. It sounds as though you are referring to LASIK or PRK or some kind of corneal refractive surgery, correct?

If so, yes it can unfortunately regress again. There can be many reasons why someone's refractive error can shift and change or regress after having an initial surgery. Suffice it to say, though, it is not uncommon for some shifting to occur. Hopefully, if it happens it all, it happens several years down the road. With you, though, if the shift has been large and significant in just one year or less, then there is a distinct possibility that it shifts and/or regresses again. The problem in multiple operations, though, is that there is only a finite amount of corneal tissue to ablate (remove) with the laser. If your cornea becomes too thin it can become unstable and make vision worse and put you at risk for future corneal problems. However, a refractive surgeon worth his/her salt should absolutely know at what thickness this is and should not come near it with plans to do further surgery.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi sorry I may have not explained properly
When I said eye correction I meant My eye surgery is a squint correction. Not vision correction.

Kind regards

Alan
Okay. I'll redirect. When a squint surgery regresses it can happen because the brain still controls the tone to the muscles of the eye and regardless of the positions of the muscles being altered, the eye can drift again. So, unfortunately the answer to your question is yes. Usually this regression or drifting doesn't happen so quickly. Nevertheless, if it has drifted back once I would expect a decent chance that it may do do again.