Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My 21 month old is tearing very often from his right eye fo

My 21 month old is tearing very often from his right eye fo no apparent reason. The white of the eye looks a bit cloudy and slighly 'swallen' on the outside. I took him to be examined by our local GP twice but they could not see anything wrong. He has often conjuctivitis so it is difficult to examine him for other symptoms. He also often has yellow discharge form both eyes and this is not related to conjuctivitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does the child close eyes in bright light? Does the right eye cornea ( or the dark coloured part) appear larger than the left eye?

Customer:

He squints in the bright light, the right eye appears larger

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A yellowish discharge from both eyes may not be from conjunctivitis. I think it is better to get his eyes examined in detail by an ophthalmologist ( eye MD ) . The child would need to be evaluated for the possibility of dacryocystitis ( when the lacrimal sac are infected they may cause yellow discharge) . The child also needs to be evaluated for a remote liklehood of glaucoma.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A GP would not be able to identify either of these as they would need a detailed eye exam by a qualified ophthalmologist.

Customer:

I was trying to see a specialist through my GP route but they are not very helpful. Where can I get an advice about my local specialists-contact telephone nr etc?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess in the UK you need to be referred to a specialist by a GP. I'll try to find specialists in your area if you can give your location.

Customer:

Yes, that will be great, it will save me a lot of hassle. My postcode is SG18 9PD, Langford near Biggleswade, I am on the Herts/Beds border.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This will take a few minutes so please wait for some time.

Customer:

Yes, I will

Customer:

Could you explain how serious is dacryocistitis and if it can be fully treated? I am aware of glaucoma, it is a serious condition-do you think it is likely to be glaucoma considering the described symptoms?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No , I would say congenital dacryocystitis is more common of the two and is very much treatable. It probably explains his tearing and frequent yellow discharge ( which is not from conjunctivitis). There can be other less serious causes for his tearing in the right eye such as a scratched cornea( but eye will be red and there will be intense pain, child may cry more out of pain and resist touching of that eye).

Customer:

It does not look that severe, although both eyes are often bright red

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case chances of dacryocystitis is more likely. Any child with constant tearing, photophobia( intolerence to bright light) and a larger cornea would need to be evaluated for glaucoma ( more of a routine protocol).

Customer:

Were you able to find me a contact number or a name of a local specialist?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Still the search is on.., nearing it

Customer:

Would you say from your experience that an eye examination in the child that young will be conclusive?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes an exam will definitely help. Most ophthalmologists are trained to identify these conditions and can always guide further towards the treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'm afraid my search so far has been a very generalised one - http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/privatespecialists/find-a-doctor/ophthalmic-surgeons/ . This link gives a list of eye doctors but not in your locality.

Customer:

I think it is a start and I can take it from here. Thank you for your advice.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'm glad to have assisted you. I wish your son well. Take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist