Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

right eye has light brown floating blocking of vision, it moves

right eye has light brown floating blocking of vision, it moves and never had it before.
this eye had a lens replacement for a cataract about 1.5 years ago. Never noticed this before, taking a blood thinner for the last 10 days which is new, product is Aggrenox

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the floater like a large block or is it more like multiple tiny specks? Why were you given a blood thinner?

Customer:

fairly large floater, light brown in color, not a small speck, blocks 1/2 the face on a person on TV

Customer:

got blood thinner when I saw or thought I had double vision about 10 days ago, it may have been this and I did not know it. Saw both Optholomologist and Neurologist who gave me the thinner. I am awaiting heart valve replacement sometime in the coming 12 months.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are right about consulting an ophthalmologist as it could be a vitreous hemorrhage. It is due to bleed into the thick gel present in the middle of the eye called vitreous. It usually occurs in those who have new vessels in the retina/disc from predisposing factors such as diabetes. In such persons, taking blood thinners may just accentuate the bleed ( not cause it).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The brown large floater could be from a vitreous hemorrhage. It is due to bleed into the thick gel present in the middle of the eye called vitreous.

Customer:

Eye doctor I saw said he could find nothing and said to go about my business a week ago. I will go tomorrow, should I stop the blood thinner?

Customer:

Will waiting until the doctor is open tomorrow be an issue?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, the blood thinner has more important role in the future heart valve replacement and will not do more harm in the eye than already done. First get the eye examined by the ophthalmologist and then discuss about the continuation of the blood thinner.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it would be alright to get the eye examined in the morning but do not delay further .

Customer:

Our thanks and we shall do this first thing in the am.

Customer:

what do they do to take care of this?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome. Best of luck for your heart valve replacement.

Customer:

Thanks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

First a dilated eye exam would be done to have a look at the back of the eye. If the vitreous hemorrhage is small the the view is possible but if large then it kind of gets obscured and a B scan would help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The treatment of this would be a vitrectomy surgery .

Customer:

Had full brain scan work up in Feb. at Mayo Clinic and said I was completely good to go. More than an hour of scans then

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. That is good. But a B-scan is an office procedure and is done with a small hand held probe and is not like the scans you have had earlier.

Customer:

mine were all MRI, sorry, I will print this message and again our thanks........ddbird..........

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Anyway a visit to your ophthalmologist tomorrow should clear all doubts.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist