Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I woke up the other day and had sleep in my eye when i wiped

Customer Question

I woke up the other day and had sleep in my eye when i wiped it away it hurt like i had a cut it was a inside pimple that hurt .. It is in the corner of my eye closest to my nose not in the eye but right on the skin. I went to stat care Doctor thinks I scratched it and it got infected.. Out me on sulfa drops and bactrim.. My eye is still swollen and looks like a blister like I keep putting warm compresses on it and cold it in=tches like when something is healing I do have a history of hepies in the left eye. I have never had it in the right eye could it be it started out as a little hard bump...
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does it hurt for you to look at the light? How is your vision in the affected eye?

Customer:

no it does not my vision was good at stat care and light does not bother it it is in the very corner like were you get sleep in your eye right there and on the skin it is painful to touch and i have to be real careful with a warm compress. it also tuened like a black eye for 2 days it was all red and swollen on the upper eyelid

Dr. Rick :

Ok. This sounds like you are getting a nasty stye or an early chalazion. I do not believe this is a recurrence of your HSV in the eye....

Customer:

I wish I could send you a pic on here

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

you can :) Let me show you one way to upload a picture for me to review:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Dr. Rick :

I'll wait =)

Customer:

hummm.. there is really no gland there is there? In the very corner if my skin by my eye can i send you a pic?

Dr. Rick :

yes.....just do it like I posted above....

Dr. Rick :

and, no, there is no gland by the corner of your eye by your nose

Dr. Rick :

any luck on the picture?

Dr. Rick :

I see you are offline....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My comp went down I wanted to ask you would it look like a blister in the corner on the skin it is very sore/?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ui9naa.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yup. That looks like a stye. Also, your upper eyelid and areas of your lower eyelids look like you are having an allergic reaction to something. Stop the bactrim and sulfa drops....it is common for them to cause an allergic reaction.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Really. When I was on vacation years ago I developed a infection in my left eye inside, they gave me sulfa drops it burnt so bad and my eye got worse they treating it for pink eye, then a scratch then it got so bad I finally went to a Dr. my endocronogist referred and found out it was hepies of the eye, I lost 40% vision and have had reoccurences.. I wonder if the sulfa made it worse.. ? thank you for youe help..

valarie

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
No, the sulfa wouldn't have had any negative effect on a herpes infection, other then it does nothing to treat it :)