Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I was seeing double vision all morning and feeling weird.

I was seeing double vision all morning and feeling weird. It now appears to be gone. What could have caused this?

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

Hi

Dr. James :

Have you had this type of double vision before?

Dr. James :

When you covered or closed one eye, did the double vision go away?

Customer:

Not like this before.

Customer:

Yes

Dr. James :

Was the double vision side by side, or up and down?

Customer:

side by side

Customer:

It scared me because it was like everything 20 feet and beyond

Dr. James :

So reading was OK?

Customer:

It seemed to be OK, but it did sometimes feel like the words were going down a little bit at times

Customer:

but wasnt too bad

Customer:

It was right when I woke up in the morning so I thought I was just tired. But I felt very tired and it didn't get better until this afternoon sometime

Dr. James :

Side by side double vision in the distance and minimally at near can be seen in a condition called divergence insufficiency.

Customer:

is this serious. Could I be having a stroke or anything like that? My hands have been swollen lately

Dr. James :

Divergence insufficiency is usually not severe. Other more serious conditions can be similar to divergence insufficiency. An exam by your doctor would be able to screen for that.

Customer:

A regular or eye doctor? Are you a real doctor? What is divergence insufficiency? What other serious conditions could it be?

Dr. James :

Yes, I am a real doctor, though this website is for information only and does not constitute medical advice.

Customer:

Yes, I understand. So do you think waiting a day to see a dr is OK, and would I see a primary or eye doctor

Dr. James :

Since your symptoms have resolved, waiting until tomorrow should be OK.

Dr. James :

An eye doctor would be best to sort out why you have double vision and screen for neurologic causes.

Dr. James :

It is unlikely a stroke. But signs of a stroke would be numbness/weakness in your extremity, loss of balance, slurred speech.

Dr. James :

If that is the case, then you should be seen in the ER.

Customer:

I did not have any of those symptoms, I just felt very tired and out of it and of course the double vision which I have never had before.

Dr. James :

Good.

Dr. James :

An ophthalmologist would be a good first step.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

Just one more. What could happen it if was determined to be neurological? Could this be serious?

Dr. James :

If it is neurologic, then an MRI may be ordered or referral to your PCP/neurologist. For most cases of divergence insufficience, further test are not usually needed.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

.

Dr. James :

Any other questions?