Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello Doctor I am undergoing a operation to insert a intra

Customer Question

Hello Doctor

I am undergoing a operation to insert a intra ocular lense in eye in 2 days time.
i have a few questions which i would like to ask/
the doctor advised that i use voltaren drops & tobradex twice a day before the op.
i currently dont have any lense in my right eye for about a year.i also had a corneal graph 8 months ago as well due to a trauma injury in which my llense fell out.i am seeing blurry at the moment.my sense of colour is good still.would there be anything to worry about.
i also have a floater currently in my eye which the doctor says he will remove with this procedure.the floater has been there for about 5 months.i have had it checked twice in that period and was assured the retina is fine.
due to the trauma injury my pupil was slightly damaged.would this be a problem.my cornea seems to be fine as i had this checked by another doctor last year as well.
how long does it take for vision to improve ounce the lense is inserted.
does the opthalmologist check the eye pressure before the surgery on the day.
would i need to ask him anything before the op.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that you are, finally, on the brink of obtaining good vision after what must have been a very severe ocular trauma. Let me address each of your concerns in turn:

Dr. Rick :

The preop drops are to help prevent infection and keep inflammation down. I agree with their use.

Dr. Rick :

The floater is from your vitreous and, since your posterior capsule, perhaps your entire lens capsule, was damaged and/or removed at the time of your trauma, your surgeon will have to remove some of the vitreous when he puts in your new lens. Unless he is a retina specialist, he will most likely only remove some of the vitreous which means that there is a chance you may still have floaters after the surgery. Only time will tell.

Dr. Rick :

The best news of all? Your retina has been checked and found to be OK :)

Dr. Rick :

Don't worry about the pupil shape/size. It can be made smaller if needed with a special suture, either at the time of your lens placement, or later if needed.

Dr. Rick :

Your ophthalmologist/surgeon will closely monitor your eye pressure, both before and after the surgery. You don't need to worry about that right now.

Dr. Rick :

I think you have covered most everything. I can't think of anything special you need to ask your surgeon at this point.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are, and have been, in excellent hands. Best of luck to you!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Oh...Hi. Welcome to the chat room. I was just answering your question.

Customer:

If the floaters persist again,what do i do

Dr. Rick :

zpm

Dr. Rick :

oops......

Dr. Rick :

Don't worry about them.

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about them? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Your doctor will do a limited vitrectomy and, like I said, that may get rid of 'em. If not, the risks of a full vitrectomy is not worth it.....if you, God forbid, have a retinal detachment a full vitrectomy may be done to fix it, and then you won't have any floaters. Let's just hope you don't need the services of a retina specialist. :)

Customer:

would this insertion of lense affect my corneal graph at all.

Dr. Rick :

It could, but it seems like your have a very good surgical team and they will be extra careful with your graft.

Dr. Rick :

I'd not worry about that right now.

Dr. Rick :

Are you a little scared about this whole thing?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
It has been a pleasure to answer questions for you over the last few months as you go through the stages of recovery from your injury.

I just wanted to take a few moments to wish the the best of luck in your upcoming, hopefully final, surgery in the quest to restore the vision in your eye.

Let me know if you have any more questions I can help you with....just ask for Dr. Rick when you post your question. Also, if you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how your vision is 2 months from now :o)

Take care.