Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i squint and make my eyes wide several times then the writing appears

Customer Question

hi. when i look at text some of the writing disappears. if i squint and make my eyes wide several times then the writing appears. what is wrong?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does this occur with both eyes open? Have you tried it with each eye by itself and see if it happens one eye at a time?

Customer :

it happens with both eyes together but not individually

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Does it happen with your glasses on, off or doesn't that matter.

Customer :

doesnt matter

Dr. Rick :

ok.

Customer :

well to be honest i cant see really at all without my glasses

Dr. Rick :

Do you eyes itch, burn or "gunk" up at all?

Dr. Rick :

ok :o)

Customer :

no

Dr. Rick :

Well, this really sounds like an anterior surface disease issue, most likely involving your tear film.

Dr. Rick :

There are some things you can do at home that should help with this condition.....

Customer :

i have to squint my eyes and make them wide quite alot to be able to see writing etc

Customer :

but i can see brilliantly distance wise with my glasses

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Do you know if your are near sighted (minus power glasses) or far sighted (plus power glasses)?

Customer :

also if i look at an object say the tv, then i see 2 of objects in front of it for example if the cat were sitting in front of the tele and i was focused on the tv i can see 2 of the cat without focussing on it

Customer :

near sighted

Dr. Rick :

does the second cat go away if you blink etc?

Dr. Rick :

Nearsighted, ok.

Customer :

no it does not

Dr. Rick :

Do you ever notice two lines on the road when driving?

Dr. Rick :

when there is only supposed to be one line lol!

Customer :

the 2 images of the cat are the two visions i have left right and right eye, as if i close each eye then i see one of the 2 cats (if that makes any sense at all)

Customer :

yes to 2 lines on the roas when driving

Dr. Rick :

yes, it does.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, remember when I said your problem was an anterior surface disease issue? Forget all that......

Customer :

ok

Customer :

is it bad news?

Dr. Rick :

Now, with the further information I believe you are suffering from eso or exophoria? What is that? This is where, at times but not all the time, your eyes do not work together like they should....that is way you all of a sudden have two cats to feed instead of one :)

Dr. Rick :

No, not bad news....

Dr. Rick :

You do, however, need to be examined by an ophthalmologist to determine why this is happening to you. An optometrist does not have enough training to work on this problem...it has to be an MD eye doctor.

Dr. Rick :

Now. I know you are worried that you have a brain tumor, right?

Customer :

is it treatable?

Dr. Rick :

Well, you don't :)

Dr. Rick :

It depends what is causing it....but in the vast majority of cases, yes, it is very treatable.

Customer :

what can cause it?

Customer :

i dont go cross eyes or anything

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes we never find out (idiopathic), sometimes you are born with the tendency for this condition and it just shows up one day, something there is a disease going on (thryoid eye disease, etc), sometimes it is something hard to treat (stroke, infection etc...but you are young for that sort of thing) The bottom line is that a visit to the ophthalmologist will be able to sort it all out.

Customer :

i dont go cross eyed though and my eyes dont wander when looking

Dr. Rick :

The amount of your eyes not working together can be so small, and still cause you to see two cats, that you can't even notice it in a mirror or if a friend is looking at you.

Customer :

i mentionned it to my optician once and he said that it is just the vision of both eyes not really making one picture but making 2

Dr. Rick :

He is correct, but since he is an optician, he figured to just leave it at that instead of wondering why a healthy 28 year old woman is having this condition......

Dr. Rick :

it's not normal.

Customer :

but how would this make patches of writing disappear?

Dr. Rick :

but I also don't think it is something horrible in your case.....yes. It can make it so you can't see patches of writing...and then when you force your eyes to fuse the image again by squinting and making your eyes wide a few times you can see the print again.

Dr. Rick :

I know in the UK that getting to see an ophthalmologist can be like pulling teeth, but you should try to get your GP to refer you to one. You can show her this chat and let her know that an ophthalmologist in Wisconsin suggested you see and eye doc.

Dr. Rick :

Dose this make sense to you?

Customer :

if an optometrist looked at the back of my eye to see the health of my eye would it show anything up?

Dr. Rick :

I would expect the back of your eye to look normal. Also, I'm not sure an optometrist can tell an abnormal retina if it reached out and bit him.

Dr. Rick :

In my opinion: An Optometrist is to an Ophthalmologist as an Eagle Scout is to a Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps. They both are experts in their area however one of them has a lot more training, ability and experience. Which one would you choose to save your vision…… or your family?

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Were you able to get a referral to an ophthalmologist? If not, is there anything I can do to help?