Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hi I have been suffering with nose bleeds through blowing

Hi

I have been suffering with nose bleeds through blowing my nose for past month. In the past I have had nose bleeds when blowing with bad colds.

Seen an ENT who examined my nose with a camera and found only inflammation which he says is part caused through allergies possibly and partly caused through pregnancy.

During a day I get occassionally I get a pain behind above or under my left eye. Been to see an optician who found nothing. Could this be linked to nasal inflammation.

Thanks

Kirsty 35 on smoker female mother of 3 and 1 on the way
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Can you describe this pain for me? Is it an ache, sharp/stabbing pain, pressure, burning, foreign-body sensation?

Customer:

sounds daft cross between ache and stabbing pain

Doctor DanB :

How long does the pain last?

Customer:

not long 20 seconds. I find it does not seem to hurt when walking perhaps sometimes when bending or watching t.v on lap top.

Doctor DanB :

Do you ever have redness of the eyes, irritation, burning, stinging, itching, or tearing, or perhaps mattering or crusting of the eyelashes in the morning?

Customer:

NO

Doctor DanB :

Usually these intermittent achy/stabbing pains are not related to inflammation within the sinuses or nose, but are much more often related to a tear-film dysfunction which for some people can lead to a dry eye syndrome.

Customer:

Is there anything I can do??

Doctor DanB :

While it is possible for the sinuses to cause referred pain to the eyes (because they surround the eyes and also because the same nerves that provide sensation to the sinuses provide sensation to the eye), it usually takes a significant infection of the sinuses to cause this type of pain.

Doctor DanB :

I would recommend starting to use artificial tears, 3-4x/day, scheduled, every day for the next 3-4 weeks. If there is tear-film dysfunction, then this augmentation of the tear-film will likely begin to help these symptoms. Unfortunately, they have to be used regularly, though. If you use them only the moment you feel like you need them, they don't tend to work well. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Is this safe during pregnancy and do I need rto visit my GP for them. I

Doctor DanB :

These are about the safest things that you can use in your eyes and in your body. You can actually get them over the counter at any drug store. I would just recommend not getting the kind that say get-the-red-out or redness-reliever in them as there is an extra chemical in these that can irritate the eyes over the long haul.

Doctor DanB :

Also, stopping smoking will probably do just as much or more good for the health of your tear-film as the artificial tears.

Customer:

Thank you. I know this sounds barmy and I know I am a very anxious person but I am so worried that the ENT person has missed something...and I have real sinus issues causing the eye pain. Sorry I meant to type non smoker. I will take on board what you have said and will see the chemist tomorrow

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions I can help you with regards XXXXX XXXXX issue?

Customer:

Thank you. If it was a sugnificant sinus infection what other symptoms would I display??

Customer:

Plse excuse my spelling errors

Doctor DanB :

Pain in the sinuses, especially with digital pressure placed on the sinuses, headache, but most importantly you would have greenish/yellowish discharge from the nasal passages and possibly a tooth ache. No problem about the spelling. You've presented yourself just fine.

Customer:

Thank you. I think I have diven myself through worry that I have got nasal cancer to sinus cancer. I think my ENT guy thnks I am mad!

Doctor DanB :

I can certainly understand your angst, especially in light of your recurrent symptoms. Good luck to you.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology