Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my 18 year old son has keratoconus with one eye now gone whiteish

my 18 year old son has keratoconus with one eye now gone whiteish grey colour
we are waiting for a appointment
i was wondering what are our best options
sam is disabled ,with severe learning problems and tends to eye poke
thanks
neil hunter

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What you are describing is called acute hydrops.

Customer:

what we be our best options for treaTMENT

Dr. Rick :

This is occurs in keratoconus and, even though it looks really bad and his vision is almost nothing in that eye right now, this is not something that requires immediate surgery etc.

Dr. Rick :

It is treated with salt solution eye drops and a bandage contact lens. The clouding of the cornea will slowly clear over the course of the next few months, at which time his vision will return.

Dr. Rick :

It looks a lot worse then it is :)

Dr. Rick :

If he is having pain in the eye, dilating drops such as cyclogel or atropine can be used.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

He is on the eye drops at the moment-we are awaiting for an appointment for an eye expert consultation!

Dr. Rick :

Also, sometimes drops (timoptic etc) are used to decrease the production of aqueous in the eye in an attempt to speed up the healing.

Dr. Rick :

Just had one :)

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be our best option be, long term? Bearing in mind his disability?

Dr. Rick :

I would continue, once the hydrops has resolved, to use hard contact lenses, maybe even special (Soper) lenses for as long as you can. After that, corneal transplant has very, very good results in restoring vision in keratoconus, but you would have to find a way to prevent him from poking his eye -- you can imagine what a mess that would be if he was to dislodge the transplant....

Dr. Rick :

Maybe a football helmet with a plexiglass face shield...there are ways to do it, but I'd put it off until necessary. The good news? This hydrops event will not mean he has to have surgery sooner then he would otherwise have to -- even though it must look really scary to you as his parent

Customer:

Thank you so much, you've been really helpful - appreciate your advice.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

I wish Sam the best. Have a good day.