Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have had cataracts removed from both eyes, two years apart,

I have had cataracts removed from both eyes, two years apart, with implants. I have a glare from the left eye. I had a second opinion from Dr. Ward at Oakhill Hospital and he did tests and used dye and could not find anything wrong. What can be done to clear up this glare?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Like I said, I have had cataracts removed on both eyes with implants. Since then I have glare and also at night the auto lights and street lights have a "V" shape coming from them. My doctor thought it could go away but it has been two years since the last surgery and I still have both. Is there anything that can be done for this?

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

There are a couple of things that can cause glare like that. The most common is clouding of the posterior capsule that holds the lens in place. This can be fixed with a simple laser treatment in your surgeons office. Another thing that can cause this issue are problems with your tear film/blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

For this problem I suggest using natural tears 3 or 4x/day and as necessary as well as doing baby shampoo lid scrubs as discussed below:

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

One other thing that can cause glare is a tilted lens or having your pupil dilate beyond the edge of the artificial lens in your eye. The only way to address this particular issue is with more surgery or the use of drops to make your pupil smaller (pilocarpine)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the "V" I can see at night in auto headlights or street lights? What could cause this? My eye doctor did use laser later and that didn't help at all.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
that could be caused by the above issues. Also, uncorrected astigmatism could cause a V to be seen