Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

opalescent disks that I was seeing were protein deposits..floaters

Dr. Rick, I was talking with someone and she said that the opalescent disks that I was seeing were protein deposits. I also read in a homeopathic book that one should eliminate pasturized dairy and supplements to help with floaters. Is there some validity to this?
Enjoy the first day of May!
Barbara

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well, that is correct.......and it is not correct........

Dr. Rick :

Floaters come from the protein component of the vitreous that condenses over time as the vitreous inside your eye liquefies. The shadow of these clumps passing over your retina are what you perceive at floaters.

Dr. Rick :

The homeopathic book is wrong on this one.....your diet has absolutely nothing to do with the composition of the vitreous inside your eyeball. When you are born your vitreous is already completely formed, you don't make any more and once it is removed (with a vitrectomy surgery) it does not come back. You could soak in pasteurized dairy foods and eat nothing but supplements for 50 years and your floaters would still be the same

Dr. Rick :

But your skin would probably be soft and smooth :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

It snowed here this morning so it is pretty touch to believe it is May :(
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You crack me up! An interesting aside. When I went to the chriopractor for my adjustment to my neck, a lot of my eye dilema seemed to disapear. Really, not my imagination. Not the floaters, but other weird things, I haven't mentioned. So that nerve supply makes a difference. An unexpected bonus!
I knew I should have gone to chiropractor school.....

It is now safe for you to press the pretty green button on your screen :)