Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

my eyes are hurting sore achy drowsiness feel headache above

Customer Question

my eyes are hurting sore achy drowsiness feel headache above eyes im on metformin /benicar 40/ phenterimine 37.5/terbinifine.eyes feel like they are dialated all time feel like im bugeyed but not
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

This type of pain is often indicative of one of three things, which are really on a spectrum of severity. The most mild on the spectrum would be the eye being dry which can cause these symptoms. With this, usually there are no other symptoms except maybe tearing and maybe light sensitivity, but the eye is usually not red and there's usually no discharge. If the eye is red and sensitive to light, then this may be a scratch on the cornea. If these symptoms are present with a significant decrease in vision, then this could indicate that there is an infected scratch on the cornea.

If the pain is also associated with a significant dull, achy pressure and there is cloudy vision that is also associated with nausea and/or vomiting then this could indicate that she is having a narrow-angle glaucoma attack, something which happens more often in Asians than any other race. If this is the case you must seek the care of an ophthalmologist immediately or risk losing vision permanently. If her symptoms are more minor and consistent with a dry eye, then she should start using artificial tears 4x/day, cool compresses +/- lubricating eye ointment and if her symptoms don't resolve, then she should be seen by her eye doctor to have a complete dry eye workup, but it would not have to be done urgently.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.