Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I am 63 yr old female, working full time, driving 2-3 hours

Customer Question

I am 63 yr old female, working full time, driving 2-3 hours daily, I use the computer few hours daily and write reports. I have a history of dry eyes, my tear ducts have been closed and I use Restatsis with some relief. I now need cataract surgery. Would you recommend Cystelens IOL or basic IOL? I was informed multifocal lens would cause halos around lights.Thank you very much for your input,[email protected]
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Have you worn glasses most of your life?
Do you mind wearing glasses after cataract surgery?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have worn glasses since I am 7 years old. I would like to be rid of them. If I choose to wear for distance ie driving does that mean all the time except reading? If so then I guess I would choose to wear for reading. I my field of work as a visiting nurse I would then continue with no-line bifocals making the top clear glass. As taking the 1/2 glasses on & off, looking up & down, is too confusing. Hanging them around my neck with my badge would get all tangled. From my research Crystelens IOL would fulfill all my needs. Have you worked with them? I know they attach to the eye muscle rather the eye making them accommodating rather than single or multi focal,

Thank you,

Donna

Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

The standard monofocal lens will give you the best clarity of vision above the other newer lenses. Most doctors will agree with that. The draw back is that it is only clear at one distance, either distance or near and you would need glasses the other times. If you are OK with reading glasses or no-line bifocals at work, then this is the better way to go.

Now, if you want to be rid of glasses for most of the time, then the newer lenses are good but the drawback is with a decrease in contrast sensitivity and possibly some halos. Most people are OK with that so that they do not have to depend on reading glasses.

I don't have experience with the newer lenses. From other colleagues, the results of the crystalens have been somewhat underwhelming. The other lenses such as ReStor or ReZoom may be better. Ultimately, if you decide to go this route, then you should consult with a surgeon who has had experience with these lenses. The surgery is the same, however, just a different lens implanted.

Your other choice is monovision where one eye is for near and the other eye is for distance. Your brain has to learn to ignore the blur coming from one of the eyes at all times. Some peole love it, and some absolutely hate it.

Another consideration is how much astigmatism you have. These newer lenses do not correct for astigmatism. If you have a significant amount, then you may need to correct the astigmastism with LASIK after the surgery to get the full effect of the implanted lens.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.