Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I have a floating bb-sized lumps under my eyelid, above my

Customer Question

I have a floating bb-sized lumps under my eyelid, above my eyeball. Now I have noticed them in the other eye as well. They do not change in size, but what are they?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are the lumps on the inner surface of your lower lid or upper lid?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any pain or tenderness in the lumps?

Customer :

upper, above my eyeball, below my eye-socket bone

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For how long have the lumps been there?

Customer :

osama bin laden has been killed, just announced on tv by the way

Customer :

I have had them for at least five years

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Really!! I'll catch up with the news soon ...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Five years is a long time and seems more like a chalazion ( multiple chalazia).

Customer :

I have seen those on lower eyelids, but these move if you try. What causes them?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Chalazion is a kind of swelling which occurs from blockage of one of the tiny ducts present in the lids.

Customer :

what causes the blocking though?

Customer :

mine are not connected to the eyelid

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The ducts drain the sebaceous secretions from the oil secreting glands in the lids. Blockage can occur from various reasons of which frequent rubbing of the eyes is the commonest one. Rubbing of eyes can be seen from co-existing blepharitis( inflammation of the lid margin).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'll send you an image and I guess you can see if it looks similar to yours.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Full Size Image

Customer :

you can't really see mine from the surface, they are almost floating under the brow bone between the eyeball and the bone...I have no visible symptoms

Customer :

If I looked like that I wouldn't have sought online help...lol

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ummmm.... Then not likely to be a chalazion.

Customer :

I have a good friend that specializes in wet macular degeneration, but he doesn't know much about the eye beyond that because it is all he specializes in, he felt it and didn't know what it was either

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As you said , if it is not seen on the surface and are better felt plus no where near the lid margin, then it is more like a lipoma ( accumalation of fat under the skin, most often benign lesions).

Customer :

they are hard though, don't feel like fat

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The best way to confirm this would be via fine needle aspiration biopsy( FNAC).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry, I was typing the response and didn't quite realise that my responses were not going across( not sure why, internet connectivity was lost for a few minutes I guess).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A simple procedure ( will not hurt as the needle is very thin ) in which a fine needle is passed at the desired site (lump) and contents are aspirated and sent for histopathology. Once the report comes it becomes clear as to the cause of the swelling.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If it is found to be a benign lipoma/ a fibroma( firm in consistency) or a dermatofibroma ( simple X-ray or a CT scan will be needed to know if there are any extensions inside or deeper), then excision is enough.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would be better to consult an ophthalmologist specialising in orbit or even a general surgeon should be able to help with the FNAC and further management.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions .Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.