Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Irritated Eye feels like something is still in the eye

I have a Corneal Abrasion and my eye is very irritated what is a good prescription eye drop that is both a steroid and antibiotic. I was doing outdoor pressure washing and some dirt and other particles got in my eye which I have flushed out with an eye wash, put Visine in the eye and the eye is still very irritated and feels as if there is something still in my eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First, stop using the visine. It will just irritate things.

Dr. Rick :

Second, you do not want to use any type of steroid when you have a corneal abrasion. It will increase your chances of infection and slow the healing process.

Dr. Rick :

Also, the chances of you actually getting a corneal ulcer, as long as nothing is actually embedded in your eye, is very small with an abrasion.

Customer:

What can I do, my eye is very irritated and feels that something is still in the eye

Dr. Rick :

So. What to do?

Dr. Rick :

If you can get some lacrilube ointment, goop up your eye and go to sleep. Just keeping the eye closed should allow it to heal in 24 hours or less.

Customer:

Why does my eye feel like something is in it ?

Dr. Rick :

Although, it might wake you up with pain when you start to dream (REM Eye movements) there is nothing to worry about.

Customer:

Is lacrilube over the counter ?

Dr. Rick :

Just having a scratch makes your eye feel like something is in it. If you actually believe that something is embedded in the eye then you should see an ophthalmologist in the morning, if you would rather, go to the ER now.

Dr. Rick :

yes, it is.

Customer:

Will it help the irritation and the feeling that something is in my eye

Dr. Rick :

It will make it feel a little better due to the fact that the goop soothes and protects the area from rubbing against your eyelid, but no, it won't make it stop hurting. It is gonna hurt until it heals....

Dr. Rick :

Were you wearing safety glasses?

Customer:

Where can i get the Lacrilube is it in the eye aisle at CVS ?

Customer:

No I am an idiot

Dr. Rick :

yes. They will have it.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions :o) but, next time do wear them

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My screen shows that you tried to hit the accept button but it didn't seem to go through. Did you notice any problems on your side?