Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hello, I been having seeing moving black spots floating

Customer Question

I been having seeing moving black spots floating across my eyes. It looks like dust floating in the air. What could this be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you fix these floaters. Most of the time it feels like it moves real quick. I also been having headaches lately could they be related.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Floaters do not cause headaches.

Unfortunately there is no good fixes for floaters. Most people will learn to ignore them with time and many floaters will settle to the bottom of the eye, but may take many months. Some doctors offer lasers and surgery for floaters, but I do not feel the benefits outweigh the risks for floater treatment.

You should nonetheless get a dilated eye exam.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are floaters the only thing that causes this light black spots that move out of the corner of your eyes. When I look forward I will see these black dust like spots zing around the corners of my eyes. I was just concerend it could be a tumor or something causing this.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Floaters are the most common reason for your complaints.

Bleeding in the eyes or other retinal problems can cause floater-like complaints. That is why you should get an eye exam.

Eye tumors can cause floaters, but these are very uncommon. Again, a dilated eye exam would catch these.

Brain tumors would have other symptoms.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay well I can't get an eye exam until June that is my next oppointment with my optometerist. Should I just go to the regular doctor and have them look into my eyes.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
A eye exam by a regular doctor will be of no use.

I recommend you call your optometrist and ask him for an earlier appointment. Just tell him you have "new floaters" and you can be worked in earlier.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks doctor for your time I appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.