Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

something on my reading glasses, but when i took out my contact lenses

Hello.....about two days ago i noticed when i was reading that there was a small blurry area mostly when i look down....i thought it was something on my reading glasses, but when i took out my contact lenses it was still there. it is as if i was looking through a dirty spot on my contacts or glasses. when i blink and open my right eye quickly it looks like a little beige spot is there. it is only in my right eye...any advice???? i can see fine otherwise with no changes in
vision
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The use of visine didn't do it. So don't worry.

Dr. Rick :

Does this spot follow where you look, as if you were viewing it through a rife sight, or does it kinda float around?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

it doesn't follow where i look it seems stationary

Dr. Rick :

So, just so I got this correct. This spot seems to be stationary, off in the side of your vision. Is that correct? Also, have you seen any flashes of light?

Dr. Rick :

Also, one more question, do you know your contact lens Rx?

Customer:

no flashes of light...

Customer:

power -4.00 bc 8.70 DIA 14.5 CYL -0,75 AXIS 180

Dr. Rick :

ok....well, you are not extremely near sighted.....

Dr. Rick :

So, this spot is just off to the side of your vision, stays in one place and you notice it when you look down?

Customer:

mostly when i am reading something...that's when i notice it the most

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell if it has changed since you first noticed it?

Customer:

it has not gotten any worse....sometimes not as noticeably if not focusing on something

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is good....

Dr. Rick :

Well, the first thing that I worry about with your symptoms is a retinal detachment in progress. A retinal detachment that has not involved the macula (the center of your vision) is a true ocular emergency. Now, that being said, a visit to the ER will be of no value unless they can call in an ophthalmologist to have a look at you.

Dr. Rick :

I don't do heart attacks, and ER doc's don't diagnose retinal detachments....we have a deal :o)

Dr. Rick :

it is possible that there are other things going on also, but I really think the problem will be located to your retina...... Does this make sense to you? You've got kinda quiet.....

Customer:

i am a little worried.....don't want to lose any eyesight...so i should make an appt with an ophtalmologist. concerned that this kinda happened overnight

Dr. Rick :

Yes, you should see an ophthalmologist tomorrow morning. In the meantime you should not do any heavy lifting or straining, don't shake your head around a lot and maybe just watch TV tonight instead of reading.

Dr. Rick :

If you can call the local ER and see if they have an ophthalmologist who can come in and see you today, that would be good.....but, at this point it is not unreasonable to wait 18 hours for definitive care....although there could be risks (had to add that part because there are too many lawyers swimming around out there ;)

Customer:

okay...guess it isn't safe for me to go to work tonight...i am a flight attendant

Dr. Rick :

Yes, the pressure changes should not affect anything.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry, that statement was not clear.....

Dr. Rick :

Are you in your home city where you will have easy access to an ophthalmologist or are you in a hotel somewhere?

Customer:

i am home but no access to an ophtalmologist today...supposed to go to work tonight back on Tues afternoon

Dr. Rick :

I agree with you. Stay home tonight and find an ophthalmologist in the morning. Do not let the front desk staff put you off....tell them you have talked with a retina specialist and he believes you need to be examined ASAP. They should be able to get you in tomorrow for sure.

Dr. Rick :

Just as an aside...what airline do you work at?

Customer:

Continental

Dr. Rick :

Are they gonna merge with Delta too? lol! Seems like there are less and less travel choices now a days.

Customer:

we are in the procdess of "merging" with United......most of our planes are already painted with United on the side>>>the logo is still Continental

Dr. Rick :

Great. What am I to do with my Continental Frequent flyer card now :(

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, all lightness aside, you did the right thing by checking this out. If it is, indeed, a retinal detachment in progress, you have caught it early, and you should have a good outcome.

Dr. Rick :

Much better then flying all over until Tuesday and then having the problem get worse when you are is East Podunk, Nowhere....

Customer:

the mileage should be converrted to a United Acct..thank you for your help.... hard for me to call out from work...i never am sick...been flying for 27 years

Dr. Rick :

My father retired a Full Bird from the Airforce and, I believe, he misses it a lot. I'm sure you could tell some very interesting stories :)

Customer:

do you think it is going to get worse very fast or is there no definitive way of telling, because it happened so suddenly

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to you and, if you have a moment, drop me a note and let me know things turn out.

Dr. Rick :

Is this spot in the upper part of your field?

Customer:

no it is in the lower in eye area

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, it would be better if it was in the upper. Being in the lower visual field means it is your upper retina is the area involved.

Dr. Rick :

I don't want to panic you so just get in tomorrow morning and take it easy for the rest of the day.....

Customer:

thank you for everything.....maybe i will see you on one of my international flights

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Take care. Maybe I could just fill in for you on tonight? :o)

Customer:

okay...i was on my way to Madrid

Dr. Rick :

That would be fun....never been to Spain.

Dr. Rick :

If you have any other concerns or questions just post them here. I'll be home all day and would be happy to help.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.