Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hi. i woke up this morning with a small very dark patch

Customer Question

hi.

i woke up this morning with a small very dark patch under my eye - on the nose side. a few hours later and it has spread. i had a similar one under my other eye a few weeks ago. what are they? and why are they appearing?

thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer :

hi

Customer :

my question was:

Customer :

Customer :

i bruise very easily too, but have not bumped my eye

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Is this patch on the eyeball itself or more the eyelid/below the eyelid?

Customer :

eyelid - so i'm not sure this is an 'eye' question

Dr. Rick :

It's the orbit....so it counts as an eye question :)

Customer :

:)

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Customer :

not that i am aware of ... i don;t take any medicine. i thought maybe i am lacking in something?

Dr. Rick :

When you had the same thing a few weeks ago, how did it change/resolve over time? Did/do you have any other symptoms associated with this dark spot?

Customer :

it took a few days to fade and disappear. not aware of any other symptoms

Customer :

i do lack energy tho - am tired alot

Dr. Rick :

Ok. This is most likely, just as you surmised already, a bruise. Does this mean I have to split my fee with you? lol!

Customer :

yes!

Customer :

lol

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, you should not be bleeding in this area normally. In order for you to be able to see the bruise under the skin I would tend to be a fairly large bruise

Customer :

i don't recall ever bashing myself in these places

Customer :

and the patch was about the size of a small fingernail when i first saw it.

Customer :

?!

Dr. Rick :

No, I understand that. And even though you said you bruise easily, this is not a normal place to have spontaneous bleeding. Since you are having the same thing under both eyes I do not believe this is due to a local vascular problem, but rather, represents a systemic bleeding issue.

Customer :

o - and it is not sore like a bruise either.

Dr. Rick :

No, it wouldn't have to be sore as there was no trauma involved in making the bruise....

Customer :

i see. weird. just had a quick look -its thumbnail size now - looks like an ink blot ... slightly darker at the edges - weird

Dr. Rick :

I think a trip to your GP is in order for a complete going over and some blood tests. You mentioned that you are tired lately, although that could be from staying up for days watching The Wedding......but I still think it should be checked out :)

Dr. Rick :

but the other "bruise" went away, correct?

Customer :

it did.

Dr. Rick :

ok, so much for melanoma then.....guess that's a good thing, eh?

Customer :

hehe - indeed.

Dr. Rick :

=)

Dr. Rick :

We pretty much missed the Big Event here in the USA but, from what I saw on CNN it was quite a wedding....

Customer :

it was indeed. o - and i never watched it - haha. was walking the dog then got back to find the 'i do' bit was over. ?

Dr. Rick :

Better to spend time with the dog anyway....

Customer :

yes.

Customer :

right so the eye ink-spot is a mystery? may be a lack in something and is a bruise-like thing? and i should go to GP?

Dr. Rick :

I'm fairly confident it is from bleeding in your orbit. This is a very rare place for spontaneous bleeding to occur so it, defiantly, needs to be worked up by your GP. I'd not wait a long time as it would be no fun if the next bleed were to occur in a structure slightly more important.......like your CPU.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense?

Customer :

good point. yes it does. thankyou. i shall book an apt asap.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. It is always fun to chat with my friends across The Pond, as Winston called it so long ago.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer :

haha - i've only lived here 10 years - i was even further away before that (South Africa). Thanks for your help

Dr. Rick :

I've never been to South Africa....all you Europeans make us Yanks seem so provincial lol!

Dr. Rick :

Have a great day. I hope you get to the bottom of this issue soon.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.